Moving to a new community is a big decision! What can I expect? Who can I call to get answers? If you are a new resident in the Glens Falls, Queensbury, Lake George or Saratoga Springs area, resources are plentiful and answers easy to find! Check out our regional resources below. And welcome to the area from all of us at O’Brien Insurance!
Moving to Upstate New York Checklist:
- Update your driver’s license. After establishing residency, most states require that you update your license within 30 to 60 days. Check with your local DMV for exact details. *
- Apply for a new registration. (Same as above)*
- Apply for new license plates. This typically coincides with getting your new vehicle registration.*
- Have a driver with a permit in your household? If so, check to see if the permit will be honored in your new state. (If the driver completed a Driver Ed course in your old state, make sure that is valid where you are moving as well)*
- If you lease your vehicle: notify your leasing company you have moved to a new state.
- Be sure to notify your insurance company of your move and provide new contact information or contact O’Brien Insurance to get a free insurance review and quote!
- Don’t forget to get your vehicles inspected!
- Contact National Grid to get your utilities set up.
- Provide your contact information to the water and sewer department.
- Arrange for cable, internet and phone in your new home.
- Register your pet(s).
- Set up your garbage pick up service.
- Update your credit card and banking address and phone number.
* Only applies when moving to New York from out of state.